Breaking

Monday, February 4, 2019

The Mystery Behind St.Basil Cathedral


Moscow, Russia -The most magnificent church in Moscow was opened with a grand celebration. The Cathedral of St. Basil has ten domes each one is so unique. The massive structure, built of bricks and white stones, is decorated with brilliant colors.

The Cathedral of Vasily the Blessed, commonly known as Basil's Cathedral, is a church in Red square in Moscow, Russia and is one of the most popular symbol of the country.

Must read: Forbidden City: China's Buckingham Palace 
It was constructed from the year 1555-1561 on the orders from Ivan IV also know as Ivan the Terrible, to celebrate his victory eight years ago over the Tatars (Kazan and Astrakhan), these Turkish people who live in Central Asia have long threatened Russia's security.
Source: Lori / Legion-Media
The Victory also added the lands of the Tatars, including their capital at Kazan, to her ever growing empire. Russians everywhere should be proud of Moscow's new church and of the victory it symbolizes.

The building, now a museum, is officially known as the Cathedral of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat or Pokronsky Cathedral.

In 1990, the Kremlin and Red Square were named a World Heritage Site by the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization. It is one of 16 UNESCO cultural sites in Russia.

Stories and myths abound of Ivan’s raging temper, one of which involves him purposefully blinding the cathedral’s (unnamed) Italian architect so that its design could never be replicated. Other legends state that the architects were a pair of Russians named Barma and Posnik, or that they may have been one person.

According to one theory, the cathedral symbolizes Heavenly Jerusalem, in other words the Kingdom of God, whose walls are decorated with precious stones.
According to another theory, its architects tried to replicate the Church of St. Mary of Blachernae in Constantinople, the scene of a miraculous intercession when the Holy Virgin appeared to Christians praying for protection from a Saracen army and covered the whole Christian world with her mantle.

At first, the basement of the future cathedral served as a basis for nine small churches built one after another and connected with galleries and passageways. Interestingly, in the 16th century the basement was used to store the church coffers and savings of the city’s wealthy residents.

Each era left its trace on the cathedral’s architecture. After a fire in 1595, the churches were decorated with onion domes, which acquired their present-day vivid colors only in the 18th century. In the late 17th century, a frieze telling the history of the cathedral was added and remained in place till the end of the 18th century. In 1817, during the renovation of Red Square, architect Joseph Bove reinforced the retaining wall of the cathedral with stone and erected a cast-iron fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment